Landon School is an independent, non-sectarian day school for boys in Grades 3-12, that prepares talented boys for productive lives as accomplished, responsible and caring men whose actions are guided by the principles of perseverance, teamwork, honor and fair play.
Landon School began in 1929 in a converted mansion in the heart of Washington, D.C.'s embassy row. Eight decades later, founder Paul Landon Banfield's long-held belief of the importance of challenging academics, daily arts and athletics, and strong values has been both respected and refined as we've entered the 21st century.
A Landon education provides grounding in academics, the arts, athletics and service, with emphasis on character education, excellence and brotherhood. Each Landon boy is encouraged to develop his talent and skills in every area of school life, to pursue his personal best and become a well-rounded student, rather than a specialist.
Landon prides itself on the quality and breadth of its educational experience and the commitment of its remarkable mix of fine teachers, young and old. We make the proud distinction that Landon teachers also coach. It is precisely this bond that helps our teacher-coach-mentors — in partnership with parents — provide the individual attention that boys need to excel. Because our faculty understand boys and how they learn best, Landon provides a unique educational environment where boys thrive.
The brotherhood that develops among students and faculty extends beyond graduation, and Landon's alumni remain active in school life as coaches, mentors and school trustees. The extended Landon community — the Bear Family — is a warm and welcoming one, with a place for all. We believe in the words of our school song: Landon Forever.
- Founded: 1929
- Location: 75 acres in Bethesda, Md.
- Affiliation: Non-sectarian day school for boys
- Average class size: 16
- Faculty: More than 125 full- and part-time faculty
- Enrollment: 680 students in Grades 3-12
- Lower School (grades 3-5): 126
- Middle School (grades 6-8): 218
- Upper School (grades 9-12): 336
- Student to Teacher Ratio: six-to-one
- Students of Color: 28 percent
- Financial Aid: One in every five boys attends Landon with financial assistance
- Financial Aid budget: $2.7 million, supporting 153 students
- Mascot: Bear
- School Colors: Brown and White
- Athletic Conference: Interstate Athletic Conference (I.A.C.)
In its admissions of qualified boys, and in the administration of its educational policies, financial aid, athletic, and other student programs, Landon School does not discriminate on the basis of color, race, national origin or ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, or disability unrelated to a particular activity.
Landon School is accredited by the Association of Independent Maryland School and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.