Gender Equity at Landon
Under the leadership of Carole Kerns, assistant director of Admissions and a former Landon trustee, and Jamie Kirkpatrick, director of College Counseling, the Gender Equity Initiative which began in the summer of 2010, has continued its work into the current school year. The Gender Equity Committee is comprised of 13 members with an additional 20 participants on its four subcommittees – representing a balance of men and women drawn from the faculty and staff.
The initiative’s subcommittees – School Culture, Extracurricular Activities and Programs, Curriculum and Institutional Modeling – have each developed recommendations and action items to further the School’s Gender Equity Initiative. These recommendations have been presented to the Headmaster’s Advisory Cabinet for comment and further review.
- providing more opportunities for boys to interact in a collaborative way with girls in classroom settings, communities services opportunities and performance venues;
- creating workshops for coaches;
- targeting women in the hiring process;
- encouraging curriculum reviews;
- providing cross-registration opportunities.
Among the efforts to date have been science, art and performance collaborations with girls from Holton-Arms School. (Read more.) Also, ethics discussions have addressed the issue of gender stereotyping.
Read Landon's Gender Equity Statement of Values.