1929 — Paul Landon Banfield and his wife, Mary Lee, open Landon School at 2131 Massachusetts Ave. NW, in Washington, D.C., with 22 students.
1934 — Landon School moves to the Walsh McLean estate (Whitehall) at the corner of Bradley Blvd. and Wilson Lane in Bethesda, Maryland.
1936 — Landon School purchases the Andrews estate at 6101 Wilson Lane, where the school stands today. Classes for Grades 3–6 remain in Whitehall until 1940.
1939 — Landon boys win their first IAC championship. It’s for baseball. In the years that follow, they win an IAC title every year except three.
1940 — Following the completion of the new Perkins Gymnasium, the Lower School building is constructed.
1943 — Albert Rogers is wartime acting headmaster. Landon conducts three graduations the next year (February, June and August) for students heading off to war.
1948 — Gladys Georgia becomes Landon’s first full-time art teacher, expanding the school’s arts offerings from music and theater to the studio arts.
1954 — The public is invited to tour the newly acquired Perkins Memorial Azalea Garden, and the annual Azalea Garden Festival, a scholarship fundraiser, is born.
1961 — The Lower School building is dedicated to longtime Lower School Head Clyde T. Wilson.
1963 — Landon Upper School students propose and adopt an Honor Code defining their own conduct.
1968 — Landon School fields its first lacrosse team with Coach Sullivan. Participants are in Grades 5 and 6.
1970 — Founder and Headmaster Paul L. Banfield retires, and Hugh C. Riddleberger is named Landon School’s second headmaster.